Yesterday we primed Alex's room. I know the entire internet world has been waiting for this day to arrive. I know I have. And yesterday was it. First there were a couple of ugly patches where bubbles and seams left by the previous (sloppy) painters needed to be sanded down, which exposed this ugly yellow paper from the wallboard, so first I put a coat of primer on those two spots (there's an even bigger spot in Julia's room, but we're not done in there yet anyway.
So after I got those two areas patched, I taped down a biodegradable material dropcloth (which alex thought was going to be a permanent part of his room. He liked it.)
and taped around the parts of the window that won't be painted, and removed the remaining switchplates.
Oh, yeah, and I taped around the light fixture, too.
And I taped the outlines of the spots in Alex's doorway where the hardwoods are missing from the floor, just so no one forgets about the dangerous ankle-twisting potential there.
And then, after a delivered dinner of pizza, Bill and I primed the room. He did the big areas with the roller, and I did trim and corners and smaller areas with a brush.
Julia only careened into the room - and the paint - twice, which was pretty good, I think.
And here's the room now:
This morning I need to put another coat on the sheet rock portions of the room - the dark gray shows through - and after that - time to add color!!
So that's the update this morning.
I'll be running errands after Alex goes to school - bank, Farmers' Market, grocery store, Lowe's,
Salk's (an ACE Hardware store - I need a funnel for my canning adventures) and...I think that'll be it.
I'm halfway done with the puff pastry how-to post - it's a long one. Hopefully that'll be up today, but I can't make any promises, now that Alex's room is coming together. It would be so nice to be able to move the kids' mattresses in there by the end of the weekend and set up OUR bed in what will be our bedroom some day, and not sleep in the basement any more.
We are also now on kind of a deadline. Well, we always were - we wanted to get the rooms done before assorted family members arrive in July. But now the deadline is more, well deadliney. The final nightmare project that needs to be done is to sand and - horrors - polyurethane the floor. The WHOLE hardwood floor upstairs, which includes both bedrooms and the hallway. So we'll have to move EVERYTHING to lower floors before the sanding. And it looks like sanding will be done in two weeks. Yes. Two. That's going to be pretty soon. So we need to finish Julia's room and patch the hardwood spots before then.
And then - when we poly the floors, we have to move out for the duration, so the fumes don't pickle my kids' brains. Or ours, though ours are already kind of battered anyway. And we'll move the pets out as well, at least the ones with brains that seem active. My sister is going to let the cats bunk at her place, and I think our friends across the street might take the lizard.
And then, after that - we can move all our stuff back to where it belongs and get ready for the annual July Festival of Family. Just kidding. There's no festival. But there is family. And now we'll have an extra bedroom! Yay.
Okay, gotta go for now. Almost time to run my errands.